I have a Windows machine producing a report I need to get to the JES spool. Can VVP help me accomplish this and if so, how?
VVP, release 2.0 and above, can accept reports from non-mainframe operating systems using LPD protocol. This is only possible for z/OS; VSE does not have this capability.
Set up the logical printer as you would for any other VVP task and also set or verify the following parameters:
- Name the logical printer the same as the LPD queue name of the server to which you are connecting.
- Set parameter LPDPORT in the control table (VVPFDFCT) to specify the TCP/IP port number the LPD server will use. This should normally be 515 and should only be changed when another LPD server is present in your TCP/IP stack.
- Set parameter LPDTRT in the logical printer table (VVPFDFLG) or update "LPD Translate" on the printer definition in option 2 of the VVP main menu. The VVP internal LPD server receives ASCII data. This parameter provides the table needed to translate the data to EBCDIC. Normally the provided table (1) will work but VVP gives you the ability to customize a table for specific printers.
I need to reduce or eliminate the number of printers defined to CICS. Is this possible?
Since VVP can automatically establish sessions when it is started you aren't required to define the logical printers to CICS.
In the control table (VVPFDFCT) the parameter OPENGRP specifies the logon macro table group VVP uses to automatically establish logical printer sessions. This parameter defaults to $OPEN. Then you define this group in the logon macro table (VVPFDFMC) adding open commands for each printer and CICS region or partition that should establish sessions.
Below is an example of the logon macro table $OPEN establishing sessions for two printers, LP01 and LP02:
VVP$DFE TYPE=ENTRY,CMD='OPEN LP01,CICS1'
VVP$DFE TYPE=ENTRY,CMD='OPEN LP01,CICS2'
VVP$DFE TYPE=ENTRY,CMD='OPEN LP02,CICS1'
How do I correct the following error when trying to apply a zap MacKinney Systems provided:
AMA120I VVPMINIT NO IDR SPACE - RE-LINK
Add the PARM='IGNIDRFULL' to the AMASPZAP step. Example follows:
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=AMASPZAP,PARM='IGNIDRFULL'
Is it possible to run a second copy of VVP on the same LPAR and if so, how?
You will need to do the following:
- Create a member in SYS1.VTAMLST with the VTAM applids for the second VVP.
- Create another VVPFDFCT member, changing the APPLID parameter to match the one created in step 1.
- Assemble and link the new VVPFDFCT member into a second load library.
- Create a new VVP proc in your proclib under a new name, placing the load library from step 3 ahead of the first VVP load library.
Member VVPFDFCT is the only one that must be assembled if you place both load libraries on the STEPLIB DD for the second VVP. The VTAM file can be shared using the RLS feature.
How can I print a dump of a VSE/Power LST queue report?
The IPW$$DD utility prints reports as they appear on the VSE/Power LST queue. To run the utility, use the example JCL below:
* $$ JOB JNM=IPW$$DD,CLASS=A,DISP=D,PRI=3
// JOB IPW$$DD
// EXEC PROC=DTRPOWR
// EXEC IPW$$DD
/* DUMP FUNCTION= JOBNAME,JOBNUMBER,QUEUE
* $$ EOJ
After job is submitted, a prompt DUMP FUNCTION= will be issued. Respond to the prompt with JOBNAME,JOBNUMBER,LST for the non-VVP report and the VVP report. To terminate the dump function, respond with EOJ.
How can you share the VVPFILE between LPARS?
You can share the VVPFILE between LPARS with RLS if they are in a SYSPLEX as follows:
The following is a list of RLS requirements for the VVP VSAM file used in a SYSPLEX environment.
- VSAM Server region (SMSVSAM) is running on the SYSPLEX.
- SHR(2,3) is required for VVPFILE dataset.
- RLS=NRI added to the VVPFILE DD statement.
- VVPFILE dataset altered with LOG(NONE).
- VVPFILE dataset altered with STORCLASS(VSAMRLS).
You can verify the RLS function is working properly by listing the catalog entry for the VSAM file. There is an entry for 'RLS IN USE --------(YES)'.
How do we use a VTAM Generic Resource for VVP? We also need to pass the VTAM APPL via the PARM field at startup so we can use &SYSCLONE to specify a specific APPLID per SYSTEM.
After fix VVP 2.0.62 is applied, you can specify the VTAM APPLID using the JCL PARM= parameter. Use the JCL PARM= parameter plus the &SYSCLONE system parameter to configure the VVP APPLID name for a SYSPLEX environment. For example, PARM=VVP and &SYSCLONE=30 causes VVP to open APPLID VVP30.